CLE - Addressing the Challenge of Climate Change: Te Role of Law and Lawyers
Co-presented by the Philadelphia Bar Association, A Call to the Bar: Lawyers for Common Sense on Climate, and the Pennsylvania Environmental Council
This full-day event focuses on the challenge of climate change, the legal framework for addressing the challenge, the need for much stronger and quicker action, the economic case for action, legal and economic issues specific to Pennsylvania, and the ethical and philosophical argument for action by lawyers and others.
We intend that this event serve as a catalyst to the legal community to become more heavily engaged in climate change awareness, education, and action.
Hear from industry leaders at this groundbreaking one-day conference on the role of law and lawyers in addressing the challenge of climate change:
Jeffrey D. Sachs, world-renowned economist and University Professor at Columbia University
John Quigley, Senior Fellow, Kleinman Center for Energy Policy at the University of Pennsylvania, former Secretary of Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
John C. Dernbach, Commonwealth Professor of Environmental Law and Sustainability and Director, Environmental Law and Sustainability Center, at Widener University Commonwealth School of Law
- 8:30-9:05 - Introductions and Setting the Tone
- The International Framework: UNFCCC and the Paris Agreement
- 9:05-9:30 - The Challenge
- 9:30-10:30 - Local Government Efforts to Mitigate and Adapt to Climate Change
- 10:30-11:45 - Morning Break
- 10:45-12:00 - Legal and Regulatory Framework at the Federal and State Level: Implementing the Paris Agreement and the Clean Power Plan
- 12:00-12:15 - Lunch
- 12:15-1:00 - Luncheon Address: Pennsylvania's climate future--perils and possibilities
- 1:00-2:00 - Deep De-carbonization: The Economic Implications of the Future Legal and Regulatory Framework
- 2:00-3:00 - Deep De-carbonization: The Technical and Policy Challenge
- 3:00-3:15 - Afternoon Break
- 3:15-4:15 - Ethical Framework: Achieving Environmental and Intergenerational Justice through Legal Action
- 4:15-5:00 - Conclusion: What Can Lawyers Do?
- 5:00-6:00 - Cocktail Hour
This will be the third program that the Philadelphia Bar Association has sponsored with A Call to the Bar: Lawyers for Common Sense on Climate Change. Two prior programs featured Richard Alley, Ph.D., of Pennsylvania State University (November 2014) and Rear Admiral (ret.) David Titley, Ph.D., of Pennsylvania State University (October 2015).
ONLINE REGISTRATION NOW OPEN