FIND OUT MORE BY VISITING THE JOB LINK FROM KNOLL
The Environmental Manager directly supports the implementation and continuous improvement of corporate and site environmental programs and related environmental management systems. This position is hands-on and will require a leader/doer who will provide technical expertise, problem solving and guidance to site EHS staff and others on environmental regulations, requirements and best practices that impact the business. This position facilitates setting of company-wide environmental targets focused on footprint reduction and advancing other environmentally focused sustainability initiatives across the company. This position will administer and improve systems for collection, review and examination of data or information, and process and prepare it for use in enhancing environmental management, facilitating decision making and reporting performance. This individual will need to possess collaborative, leadership, innovation management and organizational agility skills, be action oriented with a drive for results, be able to resolve problems in a timely manner, be adept at building effective teams and be able to set priorities based on needs, working closely with appropriate site EHS staff and business leadership.
Environmental Management System (EMS)/Strategy
- Serve as the environmental technical expert for Knoll business units and sites
- Establish relationships and maintain active engagement with business stakeholders, site operations teams, as well as collaborate with other support organizations such as global supply chain, legal, finance and CSR.
- Direct/support site development of guidance material and programs to support implementation of EMS and associated ISO 14001 standard.
- Collaborate with site leaders to identify and analyze environmental requirements, risks, and solution options and support implementation of agreed upon strategies.
- Ensure and assess compliance through processes, e.g., on-site inspections, condition or compliance reviews, risk assessment, audits, corrective action plans, implementation monitoring.
- Participate in audit teams to support environment, health, safety and sustainability programs (experience with ENHESA compliance auditing program a plus).
- Integrate environmental practices into operational processes.
- Perform industry benchmarking analyses with regard to environmental aspects.
- Evaluate and maintain general knowledge of external environmental programs and certifications and make recommendations for application within the company.
- Educate site personnel on environmental requirements and supports site EHS personnel to develop/deliver environmental and sustainability training programs.
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities and develop and execute action plans to improve environmental programs and processes.
- Provide technical input, guidance, and communications on compliance with local, state, provincial, and federal environmental regulations including Air, Wastewater, Waste, Spill and other applicable programs to business unit and sites.
- Provide guidance regarding the design, implementation, review, and maintenance of environmental controls and management systems.
- Identify, assess, and recommend approaches to ensure Koll maintains compliance and resolves potential non-compliance, notices of violation, complaints and enforcement actions in a timely and cost-effective manner, engaging key stakeholders as necessary.
- Analyze environmental data, performing trend analysis, and identifying preventative and corrective actions to maintain compliance.
- Oversee and/or investigate permit non-compliances including environmental incident management, root cause analysis and the development of corrective and preventive actions and measures, including near miss reporting as well as counseling employees involved.
- Support the investigation and take appropriate actions concerning employee requests, complaints and concerns involving environmental conditions/practices.
- Provide support during development and implementation of regulatory compliance projects and programs.
- Support the negotiation of environmental permit terms, stipulations, and operational conditions to meet objectives for safe, efficient and compliant operations.
- Ensure contractors are complying with all applicable environmental regulations.
- Oversee preparation of required environmental reports to regulatory agencies and other technical documents for sites and/or corporate.
- Monitor pending environmental legislation and regulatory proposals and assist manufacturing facilities in understanding and complying with updated regulations.
- Interface and influence regulatory agencies, government officials, and industry leaders in developing and implementing new environmental regulations.
- Maintain a positive rapport with various regulatory agencies.
- Maintain membership/attendance in relevant environmental and industry organizations.
- Lead and deliver on environmental sustainability multi-year strategy and goal-setting to ensure progress towards achievement of key performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Identify, track, and report on KPIs relevant to environmental aspects and impacts to drive accountability and performance measurement.
- Promote and utilize employee engagement and train, coach, and lead employee-powered teams to pursue environmentally focused sustainability KPIs.
- Develop and document data collection methods for environmentally focused sustainability metrics (experience with VelocityEHS a plus).
Identify ways to leverage the company's capabilities and enhance the value proposition of projects with environmental and sustainability impacts.
- Promote energy and water conservation and pollution prevention programs through site assessments, benchmarking, collaboration, and best practice sharing.
- Analyze and interpret data and provide recommendations for improvements.
General Managerial Skills and Other Duties
- Strong organizational skills including maintain records and prepare reports.
- Maintain data integrity within data systems.
- Provide information and assist in the development of budget forecasts, schedules and associated cost information and labor allocations.
- Interact with corporate leaders and Subject Matter Experts.
- Engage with business partners, community stakeholders and NGOs as needed.
- Helps to oversee environmental consultant and contractor work to ensure the production of technically sound work product consistent with stated objectives.
- Coach and mentor environmental personnel to aid in professional development.
- Support Suppliers’ environmental qualification, liaising with Procurement.
- Special Projects as required and other duties as assigned.